What Work is Taking Place?
In winter 2017, crews began support of excavation work (shoring) of the station box at the future Chaplin Station, starting on the south side Eglinton Avenue West. As early as Wednesday August 30, crews will implement the next stage of shoring for Chaplin Station.
Please carefully review the map – traffic on Chaplin Crescent will be shifted to the west and changes to pedestrian crosswalks will be in effect.
Shoring in the roadway will be completed in four stages. This is the second stage and will take approximately sixteen (16) weeks to complete.
Shoring is a common step in the process of constructing the foundation of a building. Steel piles as well as braces and tie-backs will be installed around the perimeter of the area being excavated to support the ground while crews dig.
Shoring is necessary for the station box and station entrances. The station box is the area underground where future passengers will wait on the platform to board the Eglinton Crosstown LRT.
Hours of Work
- Work can be expected to occur between the hours of 7:00 AM and 11:00 PM, seven days a week.
Work may be delayed due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
What to Expect
- Temporary pedestrian and traffic changes will be in effect.
- Noise and dust from construction equipment and vehicles can be expected.
- Truck traffic entering and exiting the work zone can be expected.
- Equipment and material storage within the work zone can be expected.
Traffic and Pedestrian Details
- Traffic on Chaplin Crescent will be shifted to the west.
- The east pedestrian crosswalk at Chaplin Crescent and Eglinton Avenue West will be closed and the west pedestrian crosswalk will be reinstated.
- The existing pedestrian rerouting on the southeast side of Chaplin Crescent and Eglinton Avenue West will remain in effect.
- Gilgorm Road will remain closed at Eglinton Avenue West.
- TTC bus stops in the vicinity of Chaplin Crescent and Eglinton Avenue West have been relocated or eliminated to accommodate work at Chaplin Station.
Please look for signage informing passengers of the new temporary stop locations.
|For more information about
Chaplin Station, please contact:
West Community Office